I saw this originally on Pinterest where you draw on a coffee mug or plate with a sharpie, bake it, and it becomes a piece of art. Well, let me tell you I wish it was that simple. First off it is a myth that the sharpie will after baked onto the mug is permanent. A friend of mine learned that the hard way. She made a homemade mug for her father and as soon as he put it in the dishwasher, it all washed off.
Now, after a lot of research and driving around town I figured out how to make this mug dishwasher safe and most importantly, make it permanent!
Here is what you will need:
A dollar store plain mug
A porcelain 150 marker
(Found mine at a local clay store for $6)
And an oven.
I made these mugs as mothers day gifts, they were a huge hit and I think they would also make great fathers day girls, or just personalized birthday gifts!
Here's how its done!
- Clean the mug inside and out and make sure it is completely dry
- Shake the porcelain 150 marker and dab it on a piece of paper until ink reaches the tip
- Draw any design you please on your mug
- Place your mug in a dry area and let it sit for 24 hours
- After 24 hours of air drying it's time to go in the oven
- Set the oven at 300 degrees
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes
Using the porcelain 150 pen will permanently seal your design to the porcelain surface and will make it dishwasher safe! You can drink out of it or use it as decoration! Most importantly, get creative!